Thursday, February 9, 2012

I love mornings!

Getting ready for my day the night before has really changed my mornings. I get to sleep in a bit more (wouldn't anyone?) which makes me happier and more awake in my 8:00 am classes (so brutal). I actually get to sit down with a nice cup of tea and let myself wake up a bit. I pack up all of my things and even set my clothes out the night before so all I have to do is wake up and smile through my breakfast. It has really taught me how much I enjoy my time. If you are interested, I highly suggest doing some of these steps the night before. I of course, I make my all- loving, all-vegan lunch and pack it in a little recyclable bag I found in my room when organizing one day. Here is just one little example of my typical healthy lunches that anyone can make!



Homemade hummus

What you need:
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • 2 cups canned chickpeas, drained, liquid reserved
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1/3 cup tahini (sesame paste)
  • 6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons water or liquid from the chickpeas
  • 8 dashes hot sauce
Directions:


Turn on the food processor (or blender) fitted with the steel blade and drop the garlic down the feed tube; process until it's minced. Add the rest of the ingredients to the food processor and process until the hummus is coarsely pureed. Taste, for seasoning, and serve chilled or at room temperature. 



I added some fresh spring mix, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, and some mushrooms garnished with salt and pepper I roasted in the toaster oven.You can really add anything to these wraps. Any veggie is yummy and good for you! I just wrapped it all up, and put it in a Tupperware for school (plastic baggies produce too much trash). Also, a great alternative to cookies and chips is fresh fruit. Strawberries are full of natural good-for-you sugars that are tasty and beautiful. Raw asparagus is one of my favorite snacks. They are crunchy and pretty mild, so the flavors in the wrap will not clash.



Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment